Few things are more annoying than getting stuck somewhere with a dead car battery. Fortunately, the experts here at Folsom Lake Ford can tell you exactly how to deal with this, and our Ford service center mechanics can help you keep your battery healthy.
You just need another car with a working battery and a set of jumper cables.
Jumping Your Car
If you try to start your car and realize that you have a dead battery, this is what you need to do.
- Park the “donor” car with a working battery close to your vehicle
- Turn off both cars and pop the hoods
- Get out your jumper cables and attach a red clip to the positive terminal on your car’s battery
- Attach the other red clip to the other car battery’s positive terminal
- Attach a black clip to the working car battery’s negative terminal
- Attach the final black clip to an unpainted metal surface of your car, a distance away from the battery
- Start up the working vehicle and let it run for a while
- After five minutes or so, try to start up your vehicle
If it’s a success, drive your car around for a while. Turning your car off right away can result in your battery dying again! Then get to a service center as soon as you can to see if you need a new battery.
Preventing Future Dead Batteries
You can reduce your chances of encountering a dead battery in the future with proper battery care. Have your battery checked when you’re in for a service appointment, especially if your battery is a few years old. This is especially important after the hot summer months, since high temperatures can be rough on your battery. Our mechanics can see if your battery is still holding a charge or if there are corrosion issues.
When you do need a replacement, don’t put it off. Visit our Ford service center near Sacramento and see what we can do to keep your new Ford vehicle running smoothly. We look forward to assisting you!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.