Factors like the exterior and interior components certainly define a car to a degree. What really makes a model a standout, though, is what lies under the hood. This is especially the case for sports and high-performance vehicles. The 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 is no exception and will be among the first of its kind to be graced with the all-new 5.2-liter V-8 engine named Voodoo.
Just how awesome is the Voodoo? For starters, it includes a flat-plane crankshaft with light counterweights. This provides lower rotating inertia and enables better breathing. All Voodoo engines will be assembled by hand at the Ford engine plant in Romeo, Michigan, and will be fitted into both the 2016 Ford Mustang GT350 and GT350R.
Here’s a few other sweet tidbits of information that’s known about the Voodoo so far:
- Its large-volume air filter, 87-millimeter throttle body, and longer intake runners within the plastic manifold all add to the Voodoo’s broad power band.
- The exhaust system utilizes 4-into-2-into-1 headers that greatly improve cold-start emissions.
- It utilizes a reinforced aluminum block that produces 5,163 cubic centimeters of displacement.
- It includes sodium-filled exhaust valves and hollow steel intake valves. The inclusion of the Ford Ti-VCT also allows for a compression ratio of 12:1.
- The pistons are made from aluminum, while the rods and crankshaft are constructed out of steel. A damper for the crankshaft also helps reduce vibrations.
With the Voodoo engine, the 2016 Ford Mustang GT350 will certainly be in a class of its own. If you eat and breathe high-performance cars, then this is a vehicle that you get to check out at our Ford dealership near Sacramento. One of our Ford dealers will be able to give you more specs about the awesome Voodoo engine.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.